Relevance and consistency are integral when developing an e-newsletter


When I went to my supervisor with a plan to develop an e-newsletter, I had two goals: 1. To promote the programs and services of the municipality I work for and 2. To establish another communications vehicle to further our key messages.
Now, I receive countless calls, emails and smoke signals (okay, not really) from individuals wanting to include content in our e-newsletter. However, I serve as a gatekeeper for the information that is included in our e-newsletter and take that role seriously. Because of this, I say no often. But, I always chuckle because I know how my Little Engine that could newsletter started. When I initially proposed the idea, there was some concern that there wasn’t enough content for an e-newsletter. By actively seeking out engaging content and month after month, I quickly alleviated those initial concerns. I had no problem filling the newsletter and often, had more content than I needed.


So, here we are five and a half years later with an open rate well above industry standards and thousands of residents who have opted in. Did I mention we have a strong click thru rate?! So, what are the keys to success? Relevance and consistency are integral in ensuring our distribution list continues to grow.

When deciding to develop an e-newsletter, you should determine the right frequency for your audience. We decided that once a month worked for us and stuck with that schedule over the years. Now, people know when to expect it. And, if they don’t see it, we hear from them. So, stay consistent once you decide on the frequency that works best for you and build your audience. To build a strong audience, you must be in it for the long haul. Send emails too frequently, and you may see an increase in unsubscribes and send too infrequently and you may never get the brand loyalty/engagement you want. You must strike a balance that works.

And, it should go without saying that you should create compelling content. If you create great content that is relevant to your audience, they will keep coming back. One year, to promote fireworks safety during the 4th of July, we put our intern in a jail suit and taped a PSA in the jail warning of the dangers of handling fireworks. The local news media picked it up and even shared the video that was included in our newsletter.


I have enjoyed working on our e-newsletter over the years and I am proud of that work. E-newsletters are a great resource for a marketer when done well. So, embrace it, enjoy it and watch your audience grow.

Comments