Hire a professional; You're not a graphic designer

I love graphic designers. They make brochures, pull up banners, billboards, emails and flyers look good which in turn makes me look good. Over the years, I have come across staff members who work for hours designing a brochure in Microsoft Word or Publisher or some other design program to develop marketing collateral. 

When they bring their designs to me (or when I come across them) I counsel and explain to them that clip art shouldn’t be used in a professional document. Instead, I suggest they use real images, since many are readily available and I explain why limiting the number of font types in a piece can improve the professional appearance of their flyer or brochure. Simply put, I have to explain this because while well-intentioned, they, like me are not graphic designers.

I have worked for non-profits for more than eight years now, some that have had graphic designers on staff and others that have contracted out most of their graphic design work. But, the one constant is that I have been able to show value in using/hiring a professional for graphic design services. A graphic designer plays a key role in a communications professional's work. On occasion, I have been asked to speak about marketing a non-profit or marketing a local government entity. In each speech, I started with the tip – hire a graphic designer. Good or bad graphics can make or break a communications/marketing campaign. So just as I have recommended to the groups I have spoken to, I urge you to hire a graphic designer and stop trying to do it yourself because:

A graphic designer will add a professional look to your message. Your image and brand are important when promoting a product or service. Last year, I was working on a sponsorship brochure for a new sports facility located in the City that I work for. Typically, I send copy to a graphic designer along with photo options. In this example, the facility wasn’t fully built and we didn’t have/couldn’t take the best photos due to ongoing construction. After some consultation with our contract graphic designer, we ended up developing a photo montage that included the best photos from the incomplete facility with floor plans. The end result was a sleek, clean, professional-looking brochure that is still being used to drive sponsorships at the facility.

A graphic designer will provide brand continuity. One of the best things you can do for your organization is develop a brand identity. Good graphic design will support branding. Having flyers, brochures, business cards and stationery floating around with different colors, fonts, etc. doesn’t further your brand identity. When counseling our internal staff, I have made the case that all of our collateral, no matter what department in the organization it comes from, should look like it came from the same place. have become known as the “brand police” in many of my professional roles. I know, not necessarily the most fun moniker to have, but, it’s an important role.  For smaller organizations that I have worked for, I have centralized design of most/all marketing collateral. For larger organizations, I have developed brand guidelines and templates. Templates for things like flyers, PPT presentations, e-letterhead, etc. (all designed by a professional graphic designer) have assisted me in ensuring brand continuity throughout the organizations I have worked for.

A graphic designer is skilled to develop a document that best highlights your product/service. A graphic designer can see through the clutter. They know what to highlight, they know how to select images that best align with your message and they know how to use color in a way that makes people intrigued to view your website, marketing piece or e-newsletter. 

A graphic designer may save you money in the long run. Print delays due to files being set up incorrectly, being designed in the wrong programs, or staff spending an inordinate amount of time on one brochure can cost your organization both time and money.  Graphic designers are worth the investment as they will save you money in the long run. They can also save you money by freeing up staff time. They are skilled in knowing how to work with printers and get your document produced efficiently. I always include our graphic designer on reviews of printed pieces. In part, because it never hurts to have an extra person review a document before it is printed, but, also, because he can see things that the untrained eye won't.

So, you may think you have a skill for graphic design, but let’s face it – you probably don’t. I don’t. And, that’s okay. I know what my strengths are, and while I can resize and rework files with the best of them. Designing from scratch is not my forte. So, make the investment and leave the graphic design work to the professionals.  


Comments