Why the APR Still Matters

In the Trump era of fake news, the role of a public relations professional is more important than ever. It’s integral that public relations practitioners not only acknowledge the current state of the profession, but hold true to the ideals that were set forth by Louis McHenry Howe, Elmer Davis and President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1930. 

When I began the process of studying for the Accreditation in Public Relations (APR), I read an article that said the designation didn’t matter. To the author of that piece, it still matters and probably more now than ever. I recommend that all public relations professionals pursue the designation and I’ll share a few reasons why here.

It has made me a better practitioner. Sure, more than 10 years of practice teaches you a lot, but, I’ve enhanced those skills over the past several months of studying for the exam. I can now confidently tell you the first step in developing a public relations plan. (Hint - Research.) I can also distinguish between a strategy and a tactic. While this may seem like semantics, my approach to solving a communications problem is different because of this knowledge. And, that’s not to say that what I was doing before was wrong. It is however, now, refined. Studying for the APR forces you to think differently.

It teaches ethics. One of the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) tested in the examination is Applying Ethics and Law. All of the discussion surrounding fake news reminds me how essential knowledge of ethical practices is. In addition, the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) has a Code of Ethics and as part of studying for the exam, I reviewed it and thought critically about the ethical implications of the work I do daily. Ideals like honesty, expertise, independence and fairness are covered in PRSA’s Code of Ethics. In this climate, professional ethics are imperative.

It helps you to hone in your presentation skills. As part of the process of obtaining the APR designation, individuals are required to participate in an interview called the Readiness Review. During the interview, the candidate presents a public relations plan to a group of three public relations professionals who have the designation. Like a job interview on steroids, the interview is intense and lasts a maximum of two hours. By the end of my interview, I remarked, “This is the most talking I have ever done.” And for me, a known talker, that says a lot. This is because the interviewers are evaluating your knowledge, skills and abilities in 16 specific areas that are important to the profession.

It teaches you to move beyond tactics and think critically. The exam is not a about memorizing terms. Instead, it is made up of scenarios that require an individual to think about the problem/situation and make an assessment. I cannot tell you how many practice scenarios I have reviewed and thought critically about since I began studying. I have also drafted scenarios of my own from real life work experiences.

It’s not easy. What’s that old adage? Nothing worth having comes easy. I started the process to become accredited in 2015 and did not complete it because life took over and I wasn't able to complete the required steps to for the designation. First, you have to submit an application. Following approval of your application, you submit a Readiness Questionnaire. My Questionnaire ended up being about 10 pages of heavily edited copy. Once you submit the Readiness Questionnaire, your Readiness Interview is scheduled. It is there that your peers will rate you pass or fail on the KSAs. After all of this, you still have to study for, take and pass the exam. So, the fact that it is not easy furthers a key skill needed in public relations - resiliency.

I’ve scheduled my exam for October, and whether or not I pass on the first try, I know that the process alone has been worthwhile as I have acquired knowledge that will last. So, yeah, I think you should pursue Accreditation. I wholeheartedly provide my endorsement.


Signed,

Sparkle Anderson, Candidate for Accreditation in Public Relations 

Comments